Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a common painful disease caused by compression of the median nerve (nerve located in your wrist) at the carpal tunnel. Carpal tunnel syndrome presents many symptoms including: Pain, numbness and tingling of the thumb, index finger, middle finger and ring finger. The carpal tunnel is narrowed usually by swelling of the area, building up the pressure upon the nerve initiating the pain.
The cold laser therapy or low level laser therapy is a non-invasive procedure which emits a beam that doesn’t expose the patient to any ionizing radiation as the beam doesn’t produce any heat. The cold laser therapy is used to reduce pain, swelling, inflammation, soft tissue injuries and increase joint mobility. The low level laser doesn’t emit any burning sensations as a result of the low absorption by the skin of humans, and doesn’t require a surgical incision, as many therapies utilise.
The Cold laser/ low level laser therapy penetrates deeply into the skin where it has an effect on the soft tissues. The therapy has a great effect on carpal tunnel syndrome as it:
Protocol for low level laser therapy on carpal tunnel syndrome:
- Repairs lost cells through stimulation of lymphatic and immune systems
- Enhances metabolic activity: Enhances body’s immune response as the laser increases enzyme activity which provides the blood cells with a higher amount of oxygen
- Increase anti-inflammatory response: the laser decreases swelling inflicted by bruising of joints and aids in increasing joint mobility
- Stimulates nerve function: often damage to nerves will cause specific parts of the body to lose motor functions. The cold laser works by increasing the reconnection process of nerve cells, to restore all function that was lost during the damage.
- Provides pain relief: Increases endorphin release
Involves using two emitters to sandwich the carpal tunnel is the most efficient way to penetrate the inflamed area. Treatment follows a decade rule, meaning that after the age of 60 the injury should only require 6 visits with 2-3 visits a week to gain complete joint mobility and normally the cold laser therapy/ low level laser therapy only lasts up to 5 minutes at each inflamed area.
Cold laser therapy/ low level laser therapy is used highly in a range of different fields and is used to treat pain, inflammation, swelling, bruising and soft tissue injuries in joints. The low level laser therapy is perfect for carpal tunnel syndrome as it may help free up the compressed median nerve in the wrist to help restore joint mobility. So if you are experiencing a tingling/numbing sensation in your fingers and the pain is getting too much for you to handle even the easiest daily activities, Lakeside laser may be your answer. Lakeside Laser is Located on Central Walk, Joondalup – central to Perth’s northern suburbs. We have visitors from surrounding suburbs of Mindarie, Beldon, Quinns Rock, Tapping, Yanchep, Alkimos and Wanneroo. Call us for an appointment on 9300 0095 or book via our “Book Now” tab on the website www.lakesidelaser.com.au
. Our Perth trained technicians are ready and able to help you live your life to its fullest.